Not very exciting today, Ive mainly been house keeping.
The smoke looks great and I’m really happy with it but it needs optimising so that the FPS stay above the 40 mark.
Another change I’ve made is that the coins collected only increases when the coins arrive at the top of the bar, not when they are collected. It’s a bit more pleasing now to collect coins. Talking of coins, I’ve shrunk them slightly so they are more in scale with the kid.
I’ve made a few other changes in the background cleaning up code and making my resources more…. Resourceful!
I’ve got two days worth of 45′s to catch up on!
- So… First up I’ve done a load of performance fixes, my FPS was averaging at about 45 (no pun intended) running over my code I could see I wasn’t recycling all my actors so that was the first “fix” now all my actors recycle.
- Secondly I noticed one of my recycled actors wasn’t being killed and just wasting memory out of screen!
- Thirdly, the ground was a long actor with an attached X-speed to it, this made the ground move and timed correctly I would create another actor.Now it’s just a two frame animation that’s statically positioned, this pretty much jumped my FPS up by about 6 FPS. Now I get about 59 FPS which drops to 54 every-now and then when there’s multiple objects on screen.
- Lots of coloured stars now shower down when coins are collected.
- Coins have had a slight re-design, but you probably wont notice.
- I’m trying out a different style for the trees
- The Blimp is now animated and much larger
- Many clouds now whizz past
- Air Miles Tickets are now available! You are awarded an air mile ticket for staying in the air for over a minute, if you touch the ground the air mile counter resets.
- Overall speed has been increased
- Scoring is coming together… So now when you are in the air the score increases, you get no points for running on the ground. Collect coins and you get a bigger score!
Keeping it short and sweet tonight, here’s my 45 minutes progress:
- My couds where slowing down the FPS to about 40, so (just for now) I’ve removed them and FPS is a happy 53 and above!
Fixed Coins not counting properly
- Hit an issue whereby the coins wasn’t counting properly, it was a mixture of a few issues, all have been addressed and the coin count is now working!
- Borrowed a Capcom background to give a better feel of how I want the game to look by the end!
Fixed running mid air
- There was an issue whereby the kid would start running mid air, I’ve fixed that by saying only run when Y level of kid is at ground level.
- Now some of the barriers rotate which makes things a bit more interesting!
And here’s a little screenshot:
So, I’ve certainty impressed myself in my 45! Having the focus of proper goals has supercharged my progress, so much so that in 45 min’s I’ve gotten together a very basic version of Jetpack Joy together!Not only have I done that, I’ve also started to add my influence so that already it’s starting to look, play and feel unique.
The biggest change so far is that the maps are no longer pre-defined. Because they aren’t predefined I’ve increased te FPS to a solid 65! The reason? Unlike before there is no map, so there are no objects to load, instead the objects are generated on the fly. I’ve managed to create a parallax scroll, this gives the impression that the character is moving fast when in-fact he’s not moving at all!
So in reality there are only a few objects ever moving on the screen at one time meaning the game is much more resourceful!
The video shows really early WIP, things aren’t perfect but you can get an idea where I’m going with the game!
Todays 45 was spent tweaking the game
I’ve spread out the level so that there’s more room to move around, I’m still tweaking my first level so I expect it to change more so.
I’ve added a few more graphical improvements and checked that it’s not affecting the FPS, which is all cool!
And… I’ve also been playing with the physics, I think tomorrow I want to tweak them further so that the rocketeer falls and rises quicker.
Well as normal I’ve spent more than 45 on my game, but not gotten as far as I would have liked mainly down to the root canal surgery I had!
Anyway ACT 1 is now finished! I’ve play tested it a few times today and it feels just right! Getting the highest rank “S” is tough but can be done, that’s exactly what I wanted, Replay value!
I’ve made some graphical changes, now the hoops fly back as you fly through them, coins drop, 3d (ish) trees wiz by, depth has been added to certain objects and there’s a glass effect on the GUI. I’ve also optimised the game some more (i’m trying to get as many FPS as I can out of this)
I’ve put together a little video of me playing it below!
BTW, I do need to sort out some of the object collision
(I was having to hold the video camera and play the game at the same time so forgive the odd shake)